Quite simply, we can’t do it without you! Volunteers are the soul of Midcoast Conservancy, bringing skills and energy to the mission of caring for our beautiful lands and waterways.
There are many ways you can get involved, starting with the list below. Join us!
Land (contact Irene)
- Help ensure that our properties remain healthy and our boundary lines intact. Hike, bushwhack, and explore in beautiful areas where few people visit. The annual cycle starts with a training for new property monitors in mid September. Property monitors then visit and report their assigned properties in the fall.
- We have over 60 miles (and growing) that could use your help. Trail work is a great way to meet new people and develop new skills.
Removing invasive plants
- Are you handy with hand tools or willing to learn? Help us safeguard biodiversity and native ecosystems! We have preserves that need your help.
- Do you like working in the woods? Help us process firewood or build picnic tables.
Water (Contact Garrison)
Water Quality Monitoring
- Damariscotta Lake: Spend summer mornings on the Lake assisting with our water monitoring program. Experience with power boats helpful but not necessary. We provide training.
- Sheepscot River: Adopt a monitoring station along the River or one of its tributaries to take and analyze water samples every other Tuesday morning from May to September. We provide training as well as back-up monitors to cover your station when you are unavailable.
Aquatic Invasive Plants
- Help us keep Damariscotta Lake free of noxious weeds. Become one of our Invasive Plant Patrollers. We provide training workshops each summer. Requires access to a canoe or kayak. Or be a Courtesy Boat Inspector on shore to stop the invasives reaching the Lake.
- Davis Stream: We need volunteers to help us look for Hydrilla, the worst aquatic invasive plant in North America, which was found in Davis Stream in 2011. Requires access to a canoe or kayak.
Community Programs (Contact Andy)
Outdoor Sport Coach/Mentor
- Coach youth, lead a clinic, or lead an event in your favorite Outdoor Sport (professional training provided).
- Mountain biking
- Fishing – be a boat captain during our Hooked on Fishing Event.
- Trail running
- Paddling…to name just a few!
Teach a Naturalist program or lead a walk
- Have a passion you like sharing with others? Come lead a naturalist hike or chat.
- Volunteer for one of our signature events. From adventure races to music festivals, there are many ways to get involved and have fun doing it.
Healthy Organization (Contact Ali)
- Join us at our office in Wiscasset and help us with mailings, data entry or filing.
Gatherings & Events
- Some of us just love to organize a party! We have several fundraising events each year, along with member gatherings and other activities. Bring your fresh perspective to the planning and/or day-of participation in these fun events.