This campsite is closed through July 6 to human adventures. A pair of loons has decided that it looks like a great place to incubate their chicks and we want to respect their needs! Thanks for staying away for day use as well; any disturbance could affect their habitat and sense of safety.
Escape for a day or night at Midcoast Conservancy’s Spectacle Islands on Damariscotta Lake. The sister islands, shaped like a pair of spectacles as their name suggests, offer opportunities for swimming, blueberry picking, camping, and general exploration. Although the islands make up a small portion of the 1000+ acres protected by Midcoast Conservancy in the Damariscotta Lake Watershed, they are among the most popular. The islands have long been a gathering spot for local families to swim. The islands were donated to Midcoast Conservancy in 2000 and are now forever protected. When you reserve your spot on Spectacle Island, know that it comes with a healthy dose of day use during peak summer weekends.
- The islands are open to daily public use, from dawn until dusk. The islands can be reached by kayak, canoe, paddleboard, or small motor boat.
- Campers may spend a maximum of two consecutive nights.
- Reservation includes both islands. Each island, North and South, provides one camping site. A maximum of 4 people per site are permitted, one tent per island site.
- We highly suggest campers arrive at the island no later than 5pm.
- Campers are expected to allow day use by other visitors during their stay and to respect the quiet nature of the island by keeping noise to a minimum after 9pm.
Clean water depends on you! Here’s what you’ll need to bring:
- All your normal tent camping gear
- Firewood (no cutting of trees allowed)
- Ability to remove all waste after you camp (no outhouse)
- WATER – there is no potable water on the islands
- A positive attitude!
- Pack out all your waste – Leave No Trace
- No smoking.
- Campfires in designated rings only.
$20/night for up to 2 tents. 40% discount for members! (Not a member? Join now!)
NOTE! When checking out, click the PayPal button; you will then have the choice of using any credit card.
To make a reservation, use our reservation calendar to determine availability and make a payment. When reserving, choose only the nights you want to stay, NOT your check-out date. Reservation fees cover the cost of the day use fees for everyone staying overnight. A reservation is not confirmed until payment is received.
*Cancellations: There are no refunds for postponed, or canceled reservations except:
- Cancellations made more than 7 days in advance
- Cancellations due to extreme weather may get a credit (subject to staff approval) for another stay within one year