Hermit Hut sits in a clearing, off the beaten path at the northern end of HVNC. As you might guess by the name, it is furthest from our entrance and visitors to Hermit Hut often remark about the wildlife they see and hear. This newly-renovated and insulated fishing cabin has the feel of a classic Maine camp. It is a great setting for individuals and families looking for quiet and solitude. The clearing around the building makes it a perfect setting for large groups with additional people in tents.
Distance from Parking: 2 miles
Number of occupants: up to 6 with additional tent space nearby
Here’s what you can count on at when you stay at Hermit Hut:
- 2 sets of bunks, 4 beds total.
- A wood stove and firewood
- A small charcoal grill
- A tea pot for boiling water
- A table with chairs
- A picnic table
- An outhouse (usually with t.p.)
Here’s what you’ll need to bring:
- Sleeping bags and pads
- WATER – there is no potable water at HVNC
- Light (headlamps, lanterns, candles)
- a personal mug, utensils, eating bowl or plate (paper plates can be burned in stove)
- cookware & utensils
- Charcoal, if you want if for the grill
- An HVNC map
- A positive attitude!
- Bring TP (just in case) and fuel to start your fire
- Please pack out all your waste – Leave No Trace
- Never use a camp stove inside
- No smoking anywhere at HVNC
- Campfires in designated rings only
- Check in at 1 pm, check out at noon
- 40% discount for members (Not a member? Join now!)
- NOTE! When checking out, click the PayPal button; you will then have the choice of using any credit card.
To make a reservation, use our reservation calendar to determine availability and make a donation. When reserving, choose only the nights you want to stay, NOT your check-out date. No more than 7 consecutive nights at any hut. Please note: member rates will be reflected at check out by entering the member coupon code. Donation includes use of the building, day use fees and canoe use. A reservation is not confirmed until payment is received. Donations help Midcoast Conservancy support and promote healthy lands, waters, wildlife and communities in Midcoast Maine through conservation, education and recreation.
*Cancellations: There are no refunds for postponed, or canceled reservations.
- Cancellations made more than 7 days in advance receive credit
- Cancellations due to extreme weather may get a credit (subject to staff approval) for another stay within one year