Two Dog Hut is an iconic place at HVNC. Like the Yurt, it sits on top of a high ridge with western views. At Two Dog, however, you’re surrounded by tall pines as they sway in the breeze; you’re tucked far away from the main trails and deep in the woods. Two large covered porches on the east and west end offer serene places to enjoy the scenery, and a clear roof provides plenty of light inside the building.
Two Dog Hut feels like accessible wilderness even though it is only about a mile from the parking area. It was built in 2008 as part of HVNC’s original “Stump to Hut” event. The building is made out of pieces of pine pulp from trees harvested right there on site. Volunteers and professionals developed this clever and unique design. About $20 worth of pulp was slabbed on two sides by a portable saw mill, and built up in a pseudo-log cabin style.
Distance from Parking: 1 mile
Number of occupants: 2
Here’s what to expect at Two Dog Hut:
- A loft with space for two to sleep.
- A wood stove and plenty of firewood
- A tea pot for boiling water
- A table with 2 chairs
- A picnic table
- An outhouse
Here’s what you’ll need to bring:
- Sleeping bags and pads
- WATER – there is no potable water source at HVNC
- Light (headlamps, lanterns, candles)
- A personal mug, utensils, eating bowl or plate (paper plates can be burned in stove)
- Cookware & utensils
- Charcoal if you want it for grilling
- An HVNC map
- A positive attitude!
- Pack out all your waste – Leave No Trace
- Never use a camp stove inside
- No smoking anywhere at HVNC!
- Campfires are not permitted at Two Dog Hut
- 40% discount for members (Not a member? Join now!)
- NOTE! When checking out, click the PayPal button; you will then have the choice of using any credit card.
To make a reservation, use our reservation calendar to determine availability and make a donation. When reserving, choose only the nights you want to stay, NOT your check-out date. Please note: member rates will be reflected at check out by entering the member coupon code. Donation includes use of the building, day use fees and canoe use. A reservation is not confirmed until payment is received. Donations help Midcoast Conservancy support and promote healthy lands, waters, wildlife and communities in Midcoast Maine through conservation, education and recreation.
*Cancellations: There are no refunds for postponed, or canceled reservations.
- Cancellations made more than 7 days in advance receive credit for another stay
- Cancellations due to extreme weather may get a credit (subject to staff approval) for another stay within one year